Wednesday, April 22, 2009

To everyone who has been asking me how I have lost weight.

So many people have been asking me how I have lost so much weight in the past 3 months that I have decided to blog it.
Honestly, in the beginning, I had so much stress due to some personal issues in my life that I lost my appetite all together. But I will tell you right now that it has been just as hard to keep the weight off and lose more weight than if I had started with a full appetite. So don't get discouraged and say "I'm not going to lose my appetite any time soon, so I might as well not even try." If you want to lose weight, any body can do it with a few tips. It's not going to be as easy as taking a pill or walking into a plastic surgeons office, but it will be a change for life and something anybody who wants to, can do!

A huge part of what I am doing is just being aware of serving sizes, calories, and portions. It is a total mind over stomach game that I have to play with myself. When I dip up my dinner my mind has to take over and focus on smaller portions. Then when dinner is done I put the food away. At this point I always find myself content or even a little fuller than I thought I would be. Over a few days of eating smaller portions my stomach totally shrunk and now it takes so much less food to fill me up. I am also so much more aware of calories now-a-days. Not to the point of writing down everything I eat, but after a hard 30 minute workout that I know I burned about 300 calories I'll take a look at that Snickers bar (or whatever the poison) and really debate on the amount of junk food I intake. IT's REALLY HARD TO BURN THOSE CALORIES!

Tip #1. Get educated on what your body needs! Go to web MD and type in your personal info to find out how many calories you should be eating to maintain your weight and how many to loose weight, as well as your BMI.
http://www.webmd.com/diet/calc-bmi-plus

Tip #2. Eat way smaller portions and more often through out the day. Don't just over load your body with food at breakfast, lunch and dinner and expect your body to burn the energy efficiently. Give it smaller amounts more often to keep your metabolism working.

Tip #3. Drink water all day long. This will totally help keep your metabolism going too!

Tip #4. Work out daily (5+ days a week). Nothing crazy, just a 20 or 30 minute workout. And We all have those days where exercising is the last thing we want to do. MAKE yourself do it for just 5 minutes on those days.

Tip #5 SLEEP! I find myself craving all the crap late at night. Just go to sleep! Your body is telling you it is out of energy. Don't give it the sugar! Give it the sleep!

Keep in mind when you go out to eat, restaurants typically serve anywhere from 2-4 servings on your plate. IF you eat your entire plate of food, you have eaten more like 2-4 meals. YUCK!!!

With the start of all new lifestyles or diets, I always try to apply the Word of Wisdom as a testimony to whether or not it is a heathy way of life. I personally feel that this is a good way to live, Moderation, Control, Sleep, and Exercises (but I recommend you read the Word of Wisdom and decide for yourself.) It is a lifestyle not a diet, so it's easier to stick with over time. I've had to train myself away from the american size portions, to the portions that will maintain my current body weight. It is a lot easier for me now that I have been working on it for a few months. Take it a day at a time and before you know it, it's just a way of life and you wont have to think about it as much.

The last thing I'm going to say about it is OWN IT! If you want to loose weight DO IT! Stop making excuses or letting other peoples comments get you down. Make the decision and OWN IT! Take it a day at a time. I still have days where that I just BOMB! but tomorrow is another day! I can't tell you how much fun it has been to feel sexy again. I thought since I had 3 kids my body was done for, but I feel so good. I've had so much fun sending sexy picture texts to Jas or even just trying on new clothes. I love it! So hang in there. Call me if you need a pep talk.